Skip to main content

CIP - The Paradox of Pain

      
      Ashlyn Blocker, a kindergarten girl (back in 2012), is one of the very few people known to be diagnosed with CIPA or congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis (that is, the inability to sweat normally, which means your body can't cool itself which leads to overheating of the body and a lot of other complications) - a disease caused by genetic mutation that makes it impossible for her to feel pain, heat or cold.

      While that might seem like a convenient disease to have, Ashlyn's parents feel that their child has been "cursed" with the disease of not being able to feel pain at all. One of the many things they stated about how harmful her disease could be was, "When her baby teeth arrived she would chew her lips bloody in her sleep, bite through her tongue while eating and once even stuck a finger in her mouth and stripped flesh from it."

      But that was confusing. How could the absence of pain itself mean a painful experience? May be because pain is essential. Pain, by scientific definition, is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience that is associated with actual or potential tissue damage or described in such terms. Put in simple words, pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. Pain is your brain sending you signals, begging for you to know that some part of you needs attention - and that could be emotional pain too.

      If your life is only ups with no downs then you would get so used to those ups that you would get into a state of inertia, not being able to feel any of those "ups" or pleasures anymore. It takes a little bit of a "down" to appreciate an "up". (That is also why so many people who've had too many downs tend to become numb. Why? Because that emotional state has become their state of inertia making them not feel anything anymore.)

      Might we be people who would be insane enough to see pain from a whole new perspective and be grateful for it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About the Hillsong Peace Music Video - Rant

On the 2 nd of March 2018, Hillsong Young and Free released their first music video  that spoke of the issue of mental health which clearly wasn’t the type of video you would expect to see on a Christian Music channel. While I found the song to be extremely soothing, with the hate and false alarms being triggered around the video being dark, cultic (which I heard a little too much) or displaying creepy ghosts and bloody rain (laugh, if you like) I thought I’d break down portions of the video and explain it because oddly enough I’ve seen too many response videos and read too many articles and comments of people over-analysing the symbols on the video instead of receiving the message of God’s peace especially for those who struggle with anxiety on a mental health level. “I think for a really long time I didn’t understand what anxiety is. When I look back at my whole life I feel like I can see traces of this for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t diagnosed until I ...

Suicidal - Rant

I was born suicidal. Hang in there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people with cuts all over my body trying to earn sympathy for what I am. I'm just trying to write something about myself, something I've never dared to write down or talk about. So please bear with me if you can. I was born suicidal. Writing it down itself makes me form a lump in my throat - it isn't something I'd like to read or easily admit. It's usually something I like to stay away from pretending like it doesn't exist, locking it safe somewhere at the the back of the collection of my childhood memories where I wouldn't want to remember that I thought differently about death. As a kid, I thought everyone just wanted to die. No really, every single person just wanted to die. I still remember when I was probably 3 (may be 5) I was watching a cartoon where a character was trying to save his life and like the questioning child I always was I remember asking my dad rep...

The Perks of Being a Missionary Kid (Part I)

      Being an MK (Missionary Kid) is quite an adventure. So why not talk about it? " Being a missionary kid is a unique, precious and beautiful journey. Ok, so there's my statement. 'Yeah,' you look at the screen, 'suuuure... Let's start at page one, shall we?'  If you're an MK chances are  you've got 'THIRD CULTURE KID' stamped on your forehead as well. Yes, I'm the son of a Malayalee father and a Dutch mother and yes, neither of their ethnicities blend with the people God has called them to work with. However, that certainly doesn't mean I feel like I've just stepped out of a UFO every morning I exit the front door. Growing up with two or more coinciding cultures is, in my opinion, the healthiest environment for growth, learning and a widening of perspective. I admit it's a sort of roller coaster ride- there are peaks and not-so-high-peaks  (ahem...) but every time I look back on my seventeen-year-short missiona...