Skip to main content

Covering My Hair - Rant


       Why do I have to cover my hair when in worship? Is it because I'm a woman? Is it because it is written that I must? Oh, do you not read Scripture with contextual understanding?

      Am I, then, a disgrace if my head is uncovered but my dress still modest? Are you assigning a certain costum onto me - that has no relevance right now - just because I belong to a certain gender? Why are we expected to have our dupattas draped over our hair then? And why only us, women?

      Don't teach me to cover myself with a shawl over my head. Teach me, instead, to cover myself with humility, respect, love and compassion. Don't teach me about women submissiveness. Teach both the men and the women about the same humility, respect, love and compassion.

      Teach us both to stand in reverence and have a heart of purity as we stand in worship beside each other, facing the same altar. Teach us to bear with each other despite our differences - teach us to allow women who choose to cover their heads during worship to do so without any judgement and respect those who choose not to, again, without any judgement, for the Lord sees more of the heart and less of the appearance. Teach us that we can all worship the same God in different ways.

      But may be, change takes time. We're all people who love holding onto what we're taught is right and less acceptable to change. We're scared of revolutionary ideas and revolutionary people. We fear the rebels, regardless of their cause. But last time I checked, Martin Luther was the Father of the Protestant faith and Mahatma Gandhi the main reason for our independence. But because of this fear and the eyes of judgement over women who can take control, I still hold onto my traditional way of standing during worship. I still cover my hair with a dupatta, unwillingly, for the choice, well, it isn't mine.

1/10/17

Comments

  1. Good goin... much appreciation... write more...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! You write so well, I almost feel someone has entered my mind, captured my thoughts and put it in writing. This is exactly how I feel too!! Keep writing, best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful!!felt every word of it❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About the Hillsong Peace Music Video - Rant

On the 2 nd of March 2018, Hillsong Young and Free released their first music video  that spoke of the issue of mental health which clearly wasn’t the type of video you would expect to see on a Christian Music channel. While I found the song to be extremely soothing, with the hate and false alarms being triggered around the video being dark, cultic (which I heard a little too much) or displaying creepy ghosts and bloody rain (laugh, if you like) I thought I’d break down portions of the video and explain it because oddly enough I’ve seen too many response videos and read too many articles and comments of people over-analysing the symbols on the video instead of receiving the message of God’s peace especially for those who struggle with anxiety on a mental health level. “I think for a really long time I didn’t understand what anxiety is. When I look back at my whole life I feel like I can see traces of this for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t diagnosed until I ...

Suicidal - Rant

I was born suicidal. Hang in there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people with cuts all over my body trying to earn sympathy for what I am. I'm just trying to write something about myself, something I've never dared to write down or talk about. So please bear with me if you can. I was born suicidal. Writing it down itself makes me form a lump in my throat - it isn't something I'd like to read or easily admit. It's usually something I like to stay away from pretending like it doesn't exist, locking it safe somewhere at the the back of the collection of my childhood memories where I wouldn't want to remember that I thought differently about death. As a kid, I thought everyone just wanted to die. No really, every single person just wanted to die. I still remember when I was probably 3 (may be 5) I was watching a cartoon where a character was trying to save his life and like the questioning child I always was I remember asking my dad rep...

The Perks of Being a Missionary Kid (Part I)

      Being an MK (Missionary Kid) is quite an adventure. So why not talk about it? " Being a missionary kid is a unique, precious and beautiful journey. Ok, so there's my statement. 'Yeah,' you look at the screen, 'suuuure... Let's start at page one, shall we?'  If you're an MK chances are  you've got 'THIRD CULTURE KID' stamped on your forehead as well. Yes, I'm the son of a Malayalee father and a Dutch mother and yes, neither of their ethnicities blend with the people God has called them to work with. However, that certainly doesn't mean I feel like I've just stepped out of a UFO every morning I exit the front door. Growing up with two or more coinciding cultures is, in my opinion, the healthiest environment for growth, learning and a widening of perspective. I admit it's a sort of roller coaster ride- there are peaks and not-so-high-peaks  (ahem...) but every time I look back on my seventeen-year-short missiona...