Skip to main content

I Miss It All

I finally broke my 16 year old custom and this is what happened.

I remember my parents telling me that they had joined Interserve the year I was born and apart from being called the millennium baby, I was often nicknamed the Interserve baby. I remember Sophy telling me that our first friends were Jason and Joash, I remember the water fights we had, the alphabet bracelets we used to make during the children's sessions and how we dreaded learning those memory verses because we were a bunch of kids who met only 5 days a year.

But like the wind, time flew and I soon started to listen and participate in whatever was being taught. I learned mostly with the skits and little games that were played to make us remember something and loved pondering over some of the questions that were asked.

Over the years I grew, spirituality and socially. Each year I grew more attached to the environment and people. It was the perfect time to introspect about the year that was about to end and I always looked forward to the 28th of December. And how could I not? Interserve was my home.

But sometimes, just someone's, things don't really work the way you want them to. Never did I expect to have my exams the day my school reopened after the Christmas vacation, but here I am contemplating whether the decision I made was right or whether I should've just gone and ended the year the way I always did.

The answer to that? I really don't know. All I fully know is that till last year I always thought that the worst feeling in interserve was on the 1st of January when we hugged everyone goodbye. But no, the worst feeling isn't the goodbyes, the worst feeling about Interserve not attending the Family Reunion at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About the Hillsong Peace Music Video - Rant

On the 2 nd of March 2018, Hillsong Young and Free released their first music video  that spoke of the issue of mental health which clearly wasn’t the type of video you would expect to see on a Christian Music channel. While I found the song to be extremely soothing, with the hate and false alarms being triggered around the video being dark, cultic (which I heard a little too much) or displaying creepy ghosts and bloody rain (laugh, if you like) I thought I’d break down portions of the video and explain it because oddly enough I’ve seen too many response videos and read too many articles and comments of people over-analysing the symbols on the video instead of receiving the message of God’s peace especially for those who struggle with anxiety on a mental health level. “I think for a really long time I didn’t understand what anxiety is. When I look back at my whole life I feel like I can see traces of this for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t diagnosed until I ...

Suicidal - Rant

I was born suicidal. Hang in there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people with cuts all over my body trying to earn sympathy for what I am. I'm just trying to write something about myself, something I've never dared to write down or talk about. So please bear with me if you can. I was born suicidal. Writing it down itself makes me form a lump in my throat - it isn't something I'd like to read or easily admit. It's usually something I like to stay away from pretending like it doesn't exist, locking it safe somewhere at the the back of the collection of my childhood memories where I wouldn't want to remember that I thought differently about death. As a kid, I thought everyone just wanted to die. No really, every single person just wanted to die. I still remember when I was probably 3 (may be 5) I was watching a cartoon where a character was trying to save his life and like the questioning child I always was I remember asking my dad rep...

The Perks of Being a Missionary Kid (Part I)

      Being an MK (Missionary Kid) is quite an adventure. So why not talk about it? " Being a missionary kid is a unique, precious and beautiful journey. Ok, so there's my statement. 'Yeah,' you look at the screen, 'suuuure... Let's start at page one, shall we?'  If you're an MK chances are  you've got 'THIRD CULTURE KID' stamped on your forehead as well. Yes, I'm the son of a Malayalee father and a Dutch mother and yes, neither of their ethnicities blend with the people God has called them to work with. However, that certainly doesn't mean I feel like I've just stepped out of a UFO every morning I exit the front door. Growing up with two or more coinciding cultures is, in my opinion, the healthiest environment for growth, learning and a widening of perspective. I admit it's a sort of roller coaster ride- there are peaks and not-so-high-peaks  (ahem...) but every time I look back on my seventeen-year-short missiona...