Skip to main content

The neighbour


  Back in the days when I was a young lad, a neighbour I had quite good and glad. A neighbour he was but more of a stranger because all we did was smile whenever we met each other. And I had secretly named him Orlando for his real name did I know not.

  And one day when I was sitting on the lawns looking at the reddish sunset, a post I received telling me it was from my uncle who lived in another country. Excited as I was to receive it, I took one last view of the sun beautifully taking its night's dip into the clouds and ran to Orlando for I knew he'd read it to me. But his reply did stun me. "Neighbour, O neighbour, I cannot read it." "Why?" I asked, surprised, as I knew he was a kind man. "This thing", he said pointing to the mail, " is sealed."

  So I went home and unsealed it- a work easier said than done and went to him the first thing the next morning. I then asked him to read it with a great amount of eagerness in me, but again he said, "Neighbour, O neighbour, I cannot read it." "Why?" I asked as I stopped myself from calling him what I secretly used to. "Why, you ask? Take a look at these letters. They're so sorrowfully dull like the letters themselves convey a piece of bad news."

  So I went home and darkened the letters which meant I spent the whole night writing over them with a dark pencil although I did not understand what the letters conveyed. And the next morning, with sleep in my eyes, I walked to his house with the mail in my hand thinking that atleast now there should be nothing to hold him back from reading it as the seal was opened and the letters bright enough.

  But then again he said (and mind you- this time his voice did feel stern), "Neighbour, O neighbour! I cannot read it." Exhausted as I was with the same reply thrice, for the last time I asked him, "Why?" And to that he replied, "Why? I do not know how to read!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About the Hillsong Peace Music Video - Rant

On the 2 nd of March 2018, Hillsong Young and Free released their first music video  that spoke of the issue of mental health which clearly wasn’t the type of video you would expect to see on a Christian Music channel. While I found the song to be extremely soothing, with the hate and false alarms being triggered around the video being dark, cultic (which I heard a little too much) or displaying creepy ghosts and bloody rain (laugh, if you like) I thought I’d break down portions of the video and explain it because oddly enough I’ve seen too many response videos and read too many articles and comments of people over-analysing the symbols on the video instead of receiving the message of God’s peace especially for those who struggle with anxiety on a mental health level. “I think for a really long time I didn’t understand what anxiety is. When I look back at my whole life I feel like I can see traces of this for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t diagnosed until I ...

Suicidal - Rant

I was born suicidal. Hang in there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people with cuts all over my body trying to earn sympathy for what I am. I'm just trying to write something about myself, something I've never dared to write down or talk about. So please bear with me if you can. I was born suicidal. Writing it down itself makes me form a lump in my throat - it isn't something I'd like to read or easily admit. It's usually something I like to stay away from pretending like it doesn't exist, locking it safe somewhere at the the back of the collection of my childhood memories where I wouldn't want to remember that I thought differently about death. As a kid, I thought everyone just wanted to die. No really, every single person just wanted to die. I still remember when I was probably 3 (may be 5) I was watching a cartoon where a character was trying to save his life and like the questioning child I always was I remember asking my dad rep...

The Perks of Being a Missionary Kid (Part I)

      Being an MK (Missionary Kid) is quite an adventure. So why not talk about it? " Being a missionary kid is a unique, precious and beautiful journey. Ok, so there's my statement. 'Yeah,' you look at the screen, 'suuuure... Let's start at page one, shall we?'  If you're an MK chances are  you've got 'THIRD CULTURE KID' stamped on your forehead as well. Yes, I'm the son of a Malayalee father and a Dutch mother and yes, neither of their ethnicities blend with the people God has called them to work with. However, that certainly doesn't mean I feel like I've just stepped out of a UFO every morning I exit the front door. Growing up with two or more coinciding cultures is, in my opinion, the healthiest environment for growth, learning and a widening of perspective. I admit it's a sort of roller coaster ride- there are peaks and not-so-high-peaks  (ahem...) but every time I look back on my seventeen-year-short missiona...