Skip to main content

Sleep


Prologue: The city in which I currently study, which is distant from the city I grew up in, is quite an oven during the summer months. For people like me, who have disturbed sleep due to rise in temperatures or wake up in the middle of the night to a sweat-soaked bed and decline in falling back asleep immediately, it can be quite a task to maintain a consistent sleeping pattern especially on academic working days. To make it worse, I sleep on the top bunk of my bunk bed which means the fan's breeze does not conveniently deviate to reach me.

This is one such night - probably the worst of all my nights - which had to top with me going to university the next day and my body feeling the ache of not sleeping. Back after class, the evening was no good since although I was lying down I could not fall alseep. And so this is one such piece written out of frustration from a bad night's sleep and having to deal with not being able to fall sleep when followed up with.



Inside the cocoon of a loveless night
She stays tossing and turning.
Her thoughts aren't even wandering tonight;
They're all focused on sleeping tight.

Inside that pitch black night
Was one girl who could not sleep.
For the heat yanked her arm into his
And so she swept the bed with perspiration.

Inside that poorly ventilated room
Of hopelessness rising each hour
Was dawn breaking,
The very time sleep had come to visit.

Inside that poorly rested brain
Was a sense of fatigue-
Of poor decision making and restlessness;
Irritation was on its brim.

Inside that mind was chaos
Of drowsiness and headaches.
Inside that mind was a sense of value
Of how a good night's sleep is worth it.

15.04.19

Image Credits: Avogado6

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About the Hillsong Peace Music Video - Rant

On the 2 nd of March 2018, Hillsong Young and Free released their first music video  that spoke of the issue of mental health which clearly wasn’t the type of video you would expect to see on a Christian Music channel. While I found the song to be extremely soothing, with the hate and false alarms being triggered around the video being dark, cultic (which I heard a little too much) or displaying creepy ghosts and bloody rain (laugh, if you like) I thought I’d break down portions of the video and explain it because oddly enough I’ve seen too many response videos and read too many articles and comments of people over-analysing the symbols on the video instead of receiving the message of God’s peace especially for those who struggle with anxiety on a mental health level. “I think for a really long time I didn’t understand what anxiety is. When I look back at my whole life I feel like I can see traces of this for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t diagnosed until I ...

Suicidal - Rant

I was born suicidal. Hang in there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people with cuts all over my body trying to earn sympathy for what I am. I'm just trying to write something about myself, something I've never dared to write down or talk about. So please bear with me if you can. I was born suicidal. Writing it down itself makes me form a lump in my throat - it isn't something I'd like to read or easily admit. It's usually something I like to stay away from pretending like it doesn't exist, locking it safe somewhere at the the back of the collection of my childhood memories where I wouldn't want to remember that I thought differently about death. As a kid, I thought everyone just wanted to die. No really, every single person just wanted to die. I still remember when I was probably 3 (may be 5) I was watching a cartoon where a character was trying to save his life and like the questioning child I always was I remember asking my dad rep...

The Perks of Being a Missionary Kid (Part I)

      Being an MK (Missionary Kid) is quite an adventure. So why not talk about it? " Being a missionary kid is a unique, precious and beautiful journey. Ok, so there's my statement. 'Yeah,' you look at the screen, 'suuuure... Let's start at page one, shall we?'  If you're an MK chances are  you've got 'THIRD CULTURE KID' stamped on your forehead as well. Yes, I'm the son of a Malayalee father and a Dutch mother and yes, neither of their ethnicities blend with the people God has called them to work with. However, that certainly doesn't mean I feel like I've just stepped out of a UFO every morning I exit the front door. Growing up with two or more coinciding cultures is, in my opinion, the healthiest environment for growth, learning and a widening of perspective. I admit it's a sort of roller coaster ride- there are peaks and not-so-high-peaks  (ahem...) but every time I look back on my seventeen-year-short missiona...